INSTAGRAM | @AUNT_HANK

Monday, August 5, 2013

Wood Workin'





I've taken a little time-out from photo to bone up on my woodblock skills.   I will be assistant teaching a workshop on Ukiyo-e at the end of the month at The Penland School of Crafts in North Carolina and couldn't be more out of this world stoked on it!

Ukiyo-e is a type of Japanese woodblock prints produced from the 17th to 20th centuries.  The word ukiyo translates to mean "floating world", a concept I love and interpreted pretty literally with this image concept.  For this block I chose to work an image based on a  Zaha Hadid plan for an apartment building on the High Line.  I've been a big fan of hers for years and I'm excited for her first project in NYC.  Is it weird to look forward to the completion of a building?  Hadid is one of those architects who is a true visionary and her ability to create lines that curve space and bend gravity is un real, she is a sculptor in the purest form.

No comments: